Thursday, August 24, 2017

Belief II: Lessons from Faith

Growing up Episcopalian was not by choice but it taught me a lot. I spent 1st through 7th grade at a private church school where we had chapel 5 days a week, first thing in the morning. There were two priests, Father Robert Maceo and Father John Twyman, who did an excellent job of teaching us trafficked kids how to interpret The Bible for our situation. In fact, the whole community did an excellent job of living by example in order to teach us how to survive through faith. 

One of the most important lessons I learned was this: dump the occult and become an adult.  This means you have to know the difference between not just faith and the occult but forms of Christianity with occult elements being sneaked into them. 

As Father Maceo would say, when a survivor comes forward with a fantastic sounding memory, we must believe that *something* has happened even if we are skeptical of certain aspects of the memory. You see, Father Maceo taught us how to use Jesus as the ultimate skeptic. Whether someone is dealing with memories of aliens, reptiles, demons, etc, Jesus tells us "don't ask yourself whether these things are real because it is not for you to know. If they are real, don't worry. I've got it."

That's the approach I prefer. The reason is because our suffering is very difficult to describe to the general public if we have to get them to believe things they are prone not to believing. This is where it gets interesting because it illuminates what the cult is doing.

You see, let's say that you remember being sexually abused but you also remember aliens. Should you be tasked with getting someone to believe in aliens in order to believe you were sexually abused? No. But that is how the cult sets things up. The abuse occurs in tandem with a lot of Hollywood make up and magic. 

Whether such entities are real is not for me to decide. They don't have to also be real in order for the human crimes against us to be real; yet, by frequently mixing these two elements together during the trauma, the cult hopes that the survivor will focus on the part that is even harder to prove than whatever felony the group is committing against them. 

This is why I developed a personal relationship with Jesus. I don't need others to tell me what he is saying to me. I don't need to believe in the same way others do in order to receive Grace. I only need to believe that he's got my back and will sort things out in a way that makes sense and works for me. He is my tabula rasa.

And the greatest of these is love.. -John 3:16











2 comments:

  1. Amen to this... and another great post Josh :) .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Means a lot because it took a lot to write it. People scared me out of sharing my personal feelings on the subject so this is the first time in a long time.

    ReplyDelete